To ensure that we have an environment that is mutually supportive for all social media users, our speakers, and our lecture audience members, the SCGS Board of Directors adopted the Social Media Policy below.
We look forward to a great conference and encourage everyone to use social media to talk about and post pictures of events at Jamboree using #SCGS2017.
The Southern California Genealogical Society is an active supporter of the use of social media (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, and blogging) at its events, including the society's annual Genealogy Jamboree. Event attendees are allowed and encouraged to promote, critique, and review the conference, its exhibitors, speakers, and activities using these forms of media.
Use of smartphones, netbooks, laptops, tablets, etc., shall not disrupt other attendees. Mobile device ringers must be set to silent during lecture sessions.
Attendees are prohibited from recording the proceedings of any lecture or workshop session by any means, including but not limited to photography, audio recording, video recording, or verbatim transcription, without expressed written permission from both SCGS and the lecture speaker. Some sessions will be professionally audio recorded and available for purchase after the event.
Social media may be used to summarize or extract lecture content provided:
(1) the author is referenced and cited appropriately; and
(2) material is not shared in full.
We fully respect the intellectual property rights of the authors of syllabus materials and lecture content. Copyright laws apply.
- ASK PERMISSION before the start of the session to photograph or record any pictures of presentations. The material is copyrighted, and each presenter has the right to authorize or refuse permission.
- Hint: Check your pink sheets to see if the session you are in is (a) Live Streamed or (b) scheduled to be recorded. Live Streamed sessions can be signed up for at any time - for free - even after the conference and viewed until the cut off date. If the session is Recorded you can always purchase the recording at the Conference Resources kiosk in the Convention Center Lobby.
- Please be kind, follow the Golden Rule, and look out for one another. If you are in a session and see someone taking photos, kindly and discreetly inform them of the policy or seek out the room monitor and let them know. If that is not possible, notify the room monitor or a Jamboree Team member.
For more information on the SCGS Jamboree Copyright and other policies, please visit the conference policies page on the Jamboree Website.