Ancestry.com is excited to provide the opportunity to have your family photos and documents scanned at the conference, for free, on their professional scanning equipment. It’s a unique opportunity to have your family history records digitized! In past years, scanning has been one of the most popular activities at Jamboree. We know you'll be happy to take advantage of this excellent opportunity.
Make an appointment to reserve your scanning time slot. 15-minute scanning sessions on Friday, June 5, through Sunday, June 7. Click on the link above to go to the sign-up area and choose your preferred time slot. Ancestry accepts three patrons during each time slot. If a time slot does not appear on the list, that means that all three appointments for that period have been claimed.
NOTE: If you have participated in scanning in prior years, you'll notice a difference in the reservation process. This year, you won't need to sign up again once you get to the Marriott.
Walk-ins may be allowed, depending on availability of scanning equipment. Don't risk it, though; make an appointment to reserve your time slot.
Scanning Hours are as follows.
- Friday 12:45 p.m. to 5:45 p.m.
- Saturday 9:15 a.m. to 5:45 p.m., lunch from 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Sunday 9:15 a.m. to 2:15 p.m., lunch from 12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Scanning will be located in Producer A/B in the High-Tech Hallway, which is across the hall from the elevators in the East tower of the Marriott. (Look for "mutant bowl of broccoli.") Signs will point the way.
Important Details from the
Ancestry Scanning Team
Ancestry Scanning Team
Document types accepted
- We can scan any document type, but the maximum size supported is 18" by 18." Any type of photograph, including tintypes, is accepted. Unfortunately we can not scan slides.
- Fragile or historical documents, photographs, bound books or albums and similar will be photographed.
- Copyright and re-publishing rights for the material are strictly the responsibility of patrons, but we reserve the right to reject any document for any reason.
- There is always a possibility that damage to older, more fragile documents may occur during the scanning process. Ancestry urges patrons to use their best judgment when choosing documents to be scanned.
- Before your scanning session, please remove all staples, pins, and fasteners as well as any tape or sticky material from your photos and documents. These items can harm the scanning equipment.
- Please sort all of your documents and pictures by size, smallest to largest, before entering your session. This will enable our scanners to more effectively finish your documents in the time allotted.
- Photos mounted in an album will be digitized as a single image. Bound books do not need to be unassembled, but can be quite slow to digitize. Material stored in sleeves should be removed prior to the scanning session; materials remaining in sleeves will be digitized with the sleeves in place.
- The 15-minute time slot will include any document preparation not completed prior to the scanning session, so proper document preparation is crucial (see above).
- Generally we can scan 25-50 documents per person in a 15-minute slot, more if documents and photos are newer and/or not fragile.
- The scanned files will be saved to a thumb drive provided by Ancestry and given to attendees for their own use.