We have received confirmation that Ancestry will again be on site during Jamboree to provide free scanning services. In past years, scanning has been one of the most popular activities at Jamboree. We know you'll be happy to take advantage of this excellent opportunity.
Southern California Genealogy Jamboree attendees can sign up for 15-minute scanning sessions on Friday, June 6, through Sunday, June 8, to be held during the exhibit hall hours. Scanning session signs-ups will open each morning—sign up Friday for a Friday time slot, Saturday morning for a Saturday time slot, Sunday for a Sunday time slot. The Scanning room will again be located in Producer A&B rooms, in the "High Tech Hallway." The hallway is directly opposite the elevators in the East tower of the Marriott, close to the fitness room. Signs will point the way.
As in the past, Ancestry will use a two-step process for registration. The pre-registration phase is going on now and will continue for the next few weeks. Click on this link to go to the sign-up area. You'll be asked choose your preferred time slot.
You will still need to register at Jamboree.
This pre-registration is to help Ancestry
estimate the number of staff members and equipment
they should bring.
Will you be bringing items to scan? Please help us plan accordingly by registering here and letting us know how much and what you’ll be bringing.
Scanning Details You’ll Want to Know
Document types accepted
- We can scan any document type, but the maximum size supported is 22" by 15". Any type of photograph, including tintypes, is accepted. Unfortunately we can not scan slides.
- More recent photographs or stable documents can be scanned at a much quicker rate on our high-speed scanner – meaning that you can have more documents scanned during your scanning session. Fragile or historical documents, photographs, bound books or albums and similar will be photographed.
- Copyright and re-publishing rights for the material are strictly the responsibility of patrons, but we reserve the right to reject any document for any reason.
- There is always a possibility that damage to older, more fragile documents may occur during the scanning process. Ancestry.com urges patrons to use their best judgment when choosing documents to be scanned.
- Before your scanning session, please remove all staples, pins, and fasteners as well as any tape or sticky material from your photos and documents. These items can harm the scanning equipment.
- Please sort all of your documents and pictures by size, largest to smallest, before entering your session. This will enable our scanners to more effectively finish your documents in the time allotted.
- Photos mounted in an album will be digitized as a single image. Bound books do not need to be disassembled, but can be quite slow to digitize. Material stored in sleeves should be removed prior to the scanning session; materials remaining in sleeves will be digitized with the sleeves in place.
- Sign up for a specific 15-minute time slot. This time slot will include any document preparation not completed prior to the scanning session, so proper document preparation is crucial (see above).
- Generally we can scan about 50 documents per person in a 15-minute slot, more if documents and photos are newer and/or not fragile.
- Due to demand, we can accommodate only one scanning session per person during the conference.
- The scanned files will be saved to a thumb drive (provided by Ancestry.com) and given to attendees for their own use.